Thursday, February 23, 2012

Breakfast cookies

Pin It


So my youngest, Tucker, is 20 months old and has never been a good breakfast eater.  He still LOVES, seriously LOVES, his milk and will drink that but it is a challenge for me to get him to eat pancake, eggs, toast, grits, or cereal.  He loves fruit but I have been trying to find something more filling than just milk and fruit.  Also trying to find something with little to no sugar is a challenge. He used to eat cereal bars but has since stopped so I am brain storming trying to find something else.


Left: Fresh blueberries, Right: Dried cranberries
 I was on Pinterest.....of course......the other day and came across some breakfast cookies.  Cookies? Yes you read that right.  So I looked up a few of the recipes and figured I would give one or two a try. I was comparing a few of them that used about the same ingredients but different amounts and I decided to make up my own recipe using those as a guideline. I have been trying out new recipes and changing old recipes alot lately and have had good results plus I just love cooking and baking. 





Here's my recipe:

Breakfast Cookies
Makes 6 3 inch cookies.

2 TBSP regular or cinnamon applesauce
1 egg
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP ap flour
1/2 cup oats (I used old fashioned but I think quick serve would work fine too.)
2 TBSP ground flax seeds
1/2 tsp baking soda*
2-4 TBSP honey**
dried cranberries
fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  I use my pizza stone to make pizzas and bake cookies on so I just use that.  Mix the applesauce, egg, vegetable oil, cinnamon, honey, and vanilla together.  Place the oats in a blender or food processer and blend until ground. Add the ground oats, flax seed, and baking soda to the wet ingredients and mix well.  Spoon out all your cookies onto your pizza stone or cookie sheet.  Place the fruit on top of cookies and push down.  Add as much fruit to each cookie as you desire.  Bake 10-12 minutes. Allow them to cool and enjoy!
*The recipes I saw used baking powder but I was out so I substituted baking soda. It worked just fine so I will continue to just use baking soda. 
**Add honey if you want a sweetened cookie.  I would be fine eating the dried cranberry version without much honey but the fresh blueberry needed more to me.  Add your desired amount.


These turned out great with a slight cakey texture that I really liked.  I didn't add any sugar because I thought that the applesauce might have enough but next time I will add a few tablespoons of honey.   I really like them and will definitely be making them more.  Tucker has tried a piece of one and seemed to like it but tomorrow morning will be the true test.  I am hoping to get my oldest, Jonah, to try them and get a good response from him.  I mean who wouldn't want a cookie for breakfast, right?!


I am linking up to:
Somewhat Simple
Let Birds Fly
Katie's Nesting Spot


No comments:

Post a Comment